Skip to main content
For Homeowners

What Is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?

| My HVAC Price

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas produced by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. It’s highly toxic and can pose serious health risks when inhaled.

The dangers of carbon monoxide have been recognized for centuries, but understanding its chemical properties and health effects developed over time. Modern concerns focus on preventing CO exposure from sources like gas furnaces and vehicles.

To protect against CO exposure, homes and buildings are equipped with CO detectors that emit alarms when elevated CO levels are detected.

People Also Ask About Carbon Monoxide

What are common sources of carbon monoxide in homes?

Common sources include gas furnaces, water heaters, gas stoves, fireplaces, generators, and vehicles parked in enclosed spaces.

How can I prevent carbon monoxide exposure?

Prevent exposure by ensuring proper ventilation for combustion appliances, regular maintenance, using CO detectors, and avoiding operating fuel-burning equipment in enclosed spaces.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Symptoms can include headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion, and shortness of breath. Severe poisoning can lead to loss of consciousness and death. If CO poisoning is suspected, leave the area immediately and seek medical attention.

What Is Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)?
What Is UV-C Germicidal Lamp?